Mother’s Day is right around the corner, why not make something cute and useful for Mom? This jewelry box by Cathie and Steve is a great craft to make and gift to give. Mom can keep all her trinkets, and jewelry organized in this classic looking box. Here’s how to make it.
First, gather these supplies:
- Plaid ® Hot Glue Gun Helpers
- Mod Podge ® Professional Tool Set
- FolkArt ® Metallics – Royal Gold, 2 oz.
- FolkArt ® Acrylic Colors – Parchment, 2 oz.
- FolkArt ® Acrylic Colors – Autumn Leaves, 2 oz.
- Mod Podge ® Matte, 8 oz.
Wood jewelry box, Small screwdriver, Foam paintbrush, Loose bristle paintbrush for dry brushing, Ruler, Scissors, Scrapbook papers, Hot glue, Ribbons, and Silk Flowers
1. Using a small screwdriver, remove the hinges from the jewelry box. Paint the lid of the box with Autumn Leaves (You will only need to paint the base of the lid and the edges). Paint two coats if needed. Paint the base of the box with Parchment paint.
2. Dip the end of the loose bristle brush into Royal Gold paint. Tap of the excess paint so the brush is almost dry. Lightly and quickly brush over the entire lid and base of the box. Use a real light hand so the colors still show through.
3. Trim the scrapbook papers to fit the top and side of the box. To create a tattered edge, tear the tops of the papers so the core shows.
4. Working on top of the lid, apply a thick coat of Mod Podge. Apply Mod Podge to the back of the trimmed paper. Position the paper on top of the lid. Use the brayer to smooth the paper and to prevent air bubbles. Wait 15 min. and top coat with a layer of Mod Podge. Repeat this step on the sides of the box.
5. Once all the Mod Podge is dry. Hot glue ribbon around the base of the box. Glue ribbons and silk flowers to the top of the box.