One of my favorite surfaces to craft on is plates. I like to use this surface, because there are so many creative things one can create with them. Take these vintage style plates. They are so elegant, and stylish. One look at these and they are sure to garner several oohs and ahhs. These vintage style plates would make a lovely Mother’s Day gift or could be the perfect accompaniment at a ladies luncheon. Try using photographs or even writing a poem or personal message. To create these plates you will need some FolkArt and Mod Podge. Below is complete list of supplies, and instructions. Have you ever created a craft project using plates?
- FolkArt ® Acrylic Colors – Licorice, 2 oz.
- Mod Podge ® Gloss, 8 oz.
1. Silhouette images with small scissors.
2. Tear tissue paper into 3 or 4 inch pieces. Set aside.
3. Cut each book page into a circle slightly larger than the images.
4. Use the black scrapbook paper to cut two circles approx. 3/8 inch larger than each book page (make sure it’s not larger than the base of the plate).
5. Adhere the silhouettes to the center of each book page with Mod Podge carefully smoothing out any bubbles with your fingers. Glue to the back of the glass plate.
6. Use Mod Podge to adhere the black paper circles over the book pages smoothing out any bubbles with your fingers.
7. Randomly attach the tissue papers to the back of the plate overlapping as you work allowing the papers to extend the edges of the plate. Allow to dry.
8. Use sandpaper to remove excess tissue paper from the edges of the plates. Sand towards the back of the plate in one direction.
9. Paint the base of the plate with Licorice.
Note: Wipe the plate clean with a dry cloth. Keep away from water.