When people think of May they generally think of Mother’s Day, however there is another reason to celebrate this month and that’s Cinco de Mayo. This festive holiday is approaching quickly, and will be here this weekend. In case you are planning to throw a little fiesta gathering here is a must have item you will need. A sombrero can be used not just to wear, but also as a festive centerpiece for your party. Another creative way to use this item is to line the hat rim with napkins and fill with chips. Kindra Boroff designed this sombrero. It was created primarily using FolkArt Acrylic Paint. This is a beginner level project that will take just about an hour to complete. Below is a full list of supplies you will need, and the instructions to create this project. Do you have any plans for Cinco de Mayo?
FolkArt Acrylic Paint: 901 Wicker White, 2553 Lime Green, 643 Azure Blue, 2546 Bright Pink, 437 Lipstick Red
Plaid Tools: 1534 1 ¼” Spouncer, 1” Flat Brush
Straw sombrero, Blue and white striped 1 ½” ribbon, Hot glue, Turquoise felt, Lime felt, Red felt, Hot pink felt, Tulle, Scissors, Large clear rhinestone.
1. Base-coat approximately 4” on the top and bottom rim of the hat with Azure blue.
2. Add some 1” to 2” inch stripes using Bright Pink, Lime Green, and Lipstick Red in that order on the remaining rim of the hat.
3. Base-coat the top of the hat with Azure Blue.
4. Using Bright Pink, Lipstick Red, and Lime Green, spouncer polka dots as shown.
5. Cut a large flower shape from the turquoise felt and a piece of white tulle. Repeat with the other colors of felt, making each flower a little smaller. Hot glue the flowers together and add a rhinestone in the center. Hot glue to the hat.