By Sherrie Ragsdale
Break out the chips, guacamole, and salsa. It’s time to have a fiesta! The first big celebration to take place this month is Cinco de Mayo, and it is this Saturday. Although it is soon, you still have plenty of time to gather some decorations to throw a party. This fiesta banner is a fun project to create. Use this banner at your party, and it is sure to be the center of attention. Below are all the supplies you will need, and we show you step by step how to create this project.
Step by Step Instructions
1. Base-coat all the hats with matching colors.
2. Cut out the stencil for the zigzag around the each out of poster board and then stencil with licorice.
3. Hot glue pompoms to the edge of each hat.
4. Stencil each letter onto poster board and in black and then cut out leaving small border.
5. Paint a curvy line using the stencil brush on each letter. See the rest of the steps here.
6. Add adhesive foam to back of each letter.
7. Trace the letters on the cardstock and cut out a little larger. Stick the top letter to the cardstock.
8. Hot glue the letters to the top of hats.
9. Instead of using a “I” or a “T” make a red pepper and a cacti. Use pattern provided. Paint the stem green and the pepper red.. Paint the cacti green.
10. Trace the pepper and the cacti onto matching cardstock and cut out a little larger.
11. Attach with foam stickers.
12. Glue the hats to the red paper garland. (Optional: For stability, glue a piece of twine to the back of the red garland before attaching the hats.)
13. Cut small pieces of raffia and tie around garland in between the hats.
14. Cut a small piece of red paper garland to fit around the hat and glue to hat.
FolkArt Acrylic Paints: Licorice 938, Brilliant Pink 2574, Daffodil Yellow 2550, Perfect Purple 2557, Cayman Blue 513, Fresh Foliage 954, Pure Orange 628
Plaid Stencil 4” Letter 28874
Six Straw Hats (Large Craft Hats), Red Paper Garland, Raffia, Twine, White Poster board, Cardstock: Blue, Pink, Purple, Green, Yellow, Orange, 1” Pompoms: Blue, Pink, Purple, Green, Yellow, Orange, Hot Glue, Stencil Brush, Liner Brush, Adhesive Foam Stickers