By: Trenice Bishop
Even though the Christmas is technically over, it is still the holiday season. And if you would like to continue crafting Holiday crafts then you will like making this black and white wall plaque. Create this black and white mantel plaque, which will look great hanging on a wall in your home. This an intermediate level skilled craft. This project will take 2 hours or more to complete.
FolkArt Acrylic Paint – 661 Metallic Sequin Black
FolkArt Acrylic Paint – 901 Wicker White
Wood plaque, Paintbrushes, Clear gloss hobby and craft spray, Ruler (optional), Holiday message stencil (optional)
1. Start by sanding the wood plaque to smooth any rough spots and edges prior to painting.
2. Remove and dust left behind on plaque.
3. Apply 1 coat of FolkArt Acrylic Paint – Metallic Sequin Black to the back of the wood plaque. Let dry for 10 to 15 minutes and repeat.
4. Let back of plaque dry at least 1 hour. When paint is dry, apply 2 coats of paint to the front as well. Let dry.
5. To create the look of a snow packed ground, use a thin bristle brush and make slight arches across the bottom of the plaque.
Painting the Trees
1. Use FolkArt Acrylic Paint – Wicker White and a thin bristle paintbrush to make the various sized trees.
2. Make the tree tops by making short strokes, as if you were writing the letter “J”.
3. Once you have made the tree tops use the same idea to shape the base of the tree.
4. Fill in the tree body using the same stroke pattern.
5. Make dots by dipping the paintbrush end in the paint to and add them to the tree body as well.
For the Snowflakes
1. Use the back of the paintbrush to makes dots in the places you wish to have snowflakes.
2. Drop small beads of the ModPodge Dimensional onto the paint dots placed on the plaque.
3. Allow the ModPodge Dimensional to dry at least 2 – 3 hours.
4. When the ModPodge Dimensional is dry, again use the back of the brush dipped in paint and dot the top of the dry ModPodge drops.
For the Text
1. With a steady hand use the same thin brush to paint the text on to the plaque. You can also use a stencil to add your holiday greeting or make your own using FolkArt Peel and Stick Painting Stencils.